Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Raising bilingual children is it too late to start now


Raising Bilingual Children: Is It Too Late To Start Now?


After we talked, Ive spoken nothing but French to my one year old for close to seven weeks now. All of his new words are French, and from what I can tell he understands me completely.


Bilingual children, bilingual child, bilingual families, bilingual family, multilingual children, multilingual child, multilingual families


After we talked, Ive spoken nothing but French to my one year old for close to seven weeks now. All of his new words are French, and from what I can tell he understands me completely. Not even two months into her campaign to raise her two children speaking French as well as English, Sheilagh Margot Riordan in Forida has noticed a dramatic difference in the progress between her two children: My three and a half year old is much trickier. Even though I speak only French to her, she replies in English, but I guess that she understands about 70% of everything I say. Frankly, Sheilagh worries that its already too late for her over-the-hill three-year-old to become a fluent bilingual.

In our culture it sometimes feels that if you didnt spring for ballet lessons at two or violin at three, its all over. While theres no doubt that the optimal moment to start learning langua

 



Recommended For You



No comments:

Post a Comment